8.18.2008

confessions, by popular demand. or: the longest post you will ever read on this blog.

some not very interesting admissions:
i like monkeys. Like i reallly like monkeys. Not just like i like things with monkeys on them-- toothbrush holders with monkeys on them and keychains and stuff--but i just really like them in general. Even though in real life they are pretty mean.
When i was little, i wanted to grow up to be a monkey or an astronaut. (If i had thought i could be both i think i would have just died of PURE JOY!!!) I convinced myself that my favourite colour was yellow, because monkeys like bananas, and i figured to a monkey, yellow = bananas. And since monkeys loved bananas (how accurate is that, really? they probably eat more mangos. and i am alergic to mangos. it just wasn't meant to be... :( ..) It was not until high school that I realized that I don't even really like the colour yellow, it was apparently a monkey-lover requirement i had created in my little head. And it wasn't until just like last month that i realized i don't even really like bananas. HAH. I only like the really not ripe ones, when they don't taste banana-y. HAH.

I had these pjs when i was not so little that i sewed that had glow-in-the-dark* bananas on them.

??? glow-in-the-dark bananas. they were in the middle of being peeled, and the fruit inside the peel was the part that glowed.

again, ???

Did i think it made me more of a monkey fan to have bananas ON my pjs? We won't talk about the childrens show that came out shortly after that which just makes it look like i was a huge dork. I promise the pjs were because of monkeys, not the show. It seems suspicious, but i promise it's not that bad.

My mom would say right now 'oh, jill, i thought those pjs were so cute', but now, thinking about it, i think they were a teeeeensy bit weird.

you know how boys draw cars on their folders in elementary school (that was a long time ago for me...they probably draw gang signs now. little hoodlums.) , and girls draw like swirlies and hearts and running horses...i drew monkeys (always with bananas).

I can also make a good monkey noise. And i thought I would have a pet monkey. And the most creme de la creme of my whole sticker collection was a picture sticker of a baby orangutan. (Pronounced or-ANG-uh-TANG, by anyone not a biologist or a snob.) And I pretended my favourite runts were the bananas, but they weren't. (!) The pink ones and orange ones were the best.

Once I was trying to figure out why i had dated this certain guy in college, and i realized that it was because he would climb across the car to open my door for me...and it reminded me of a monkey**. Apparently I find things like climbing around, swinging from things, and being nimble very attractive.

So all that being said (that's not even all of it), I still love monkeys. Unabashedly. well, almost.

*loving everything that was glow-in-the-dark was, i think, somehow a childish ramification of my other obsession--astronauts
**That's HONESTLY the only reason I can think of that I would have dated him, except the fact that he played stand-up bass and was the only person that could take me on in a game of ABCs with the category of 80's bands. Also note that this was a short relationship. i am not as low-maintenance as you think.

3 comments:

liso. said...

...this is so beyond hilarious. I'm thinking about printing it out and hanging it bedside so I can read it every morning when I wake up. It must be tough to be this funny.

BUT I did notice an omission of the banana-peeling-with-your-feet-skill. ...hmmmm...

Anonymous said...

In high school one of my best friends liked monkeys so he bought one at a pet store. It was quite popular at school but he was not allowed to keep it with him in class. duh! He tried leaving it at home but it became quite obvious there was something living in the home (or dying in the home) after a day or two.

The only place to keep the monkey for a period of time was in his car, a nice '54 Chevy.

Rather than ruin the story I will leave out the ending.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jill
I remember the banana pj's (with the large blue checked background)! I loved them! As for all the pj's in our family, it seemed like we had them forever. I hope your friendships are not longer based on monkey characteristics-which I am glad--gold medals are much more important to base relationships on.V in Abq